The BEST Way To Open & Eat A Pomegranate
11 Pretty Perfect Pomegranate Recipes
PREP TIME: 10 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
3 acorn squash (3¾ lb total), halved, seeded, and each cut lengthwise into 12 wedges
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 bunches watercress, tough stems discarded
½ c pomegranate seeds (with juice)
1. HEAToven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil and lightly coat with oil.
2. ARRANGEsquash cut side down in single layer on prepared pans. Roast in upper and lower thirds of oven, turning once and switching pans halfway, until tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool on pans.
3. WHISKmaple syrup, vinegar, oil, and mustard until well combined (makes ½ cup). Divide squash among 8 plates and top with watercress. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds (and any juice) and drizzle with vinaigrette. Season to taste with pepper.
NUTRITION(per serving) 106 cal, 2 g pro, 23 g carb, 3 g fiber, 2 g fat, 0.3 g sat fat, 41 mg sodium
MORE:20 Classic Fall Recipes You'll Love
PREP TIME: 15 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 21 minutes
1½ Tbsp pomegranate juice
1½ tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp olive oil
¼ tsp honey
3 c loosely packed baby spinach leaves
¼ c juice packed mandarin oranges, drained
2 Tbsp fresh pomegranate seeds
1 Tbsp roasted, unsalted almonds
3 oz lean steak, such as top round or london broil
1. WHISKjuice, vinegar, mustard, oil, and honey in small bowl.
2. COMBINEspinach, oranges, seeds, and almonds and toss in a large bowl, adding all but 2 teaspoons of the dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. SPRAYsteak lightly with oil and sauté in small skillet over medium high heat until done (3 minutes per side for medium rare). Remove from heat and set aside 3 minutes. Slice steak thinly, top salad with slices, and drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve immediately or refrigerate in plastic container to go.
NUTRITION(per serving) 303 cal, 23 g pro, 22 g carb, 5 g fiber, 14.5 g fat, 3 g sat fat, 296 mg sodium
MORE:10 Healthy Recipes With Ramen Noodles
PREP TIME: 2 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 2 minutes
5 oz champagne, sparkling cider, or seltzer, chilled
3 oz pomegranate juice, chilled
3 fresh pomegranate seeds
POURchampagne into a festive 8-ounce glass. Slowly fill almost to brim with pomegranate juice. Drop in pomegranate seeds and serve.
NUTRITION(per serving) 141 cal, 0 g pro, 12 g carb, 0 g fiber, 0 g fat, 0 g sat fat, 0 mg sodium
MORE:12 Tasty Tea Cocktails
PREP TIME: 15 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 2 hour, 40 minutes
7 lb bone-in sliced ham
1½ c pomegranate juice
1. REMOVEham from refrigerator about 40 minutes before cooking. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. POURpomegranate juice into small saucepan and simmer until thickened, 25 minutes.
3. PUTham in baking dish and top with glaze. Bake until heated through, about 2 hours, basting occasionally with pan drippings and covering with a foil tent if outside begins to darken too much.
NUTRITION(per serving) 153 cal, 19 g pro, 2.5 g carb, 0 g fiber, 7 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 814 mg sodium
MORE:Pork Shoulder 6 Ways
PREP TIME: 3 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 3 minutes
⅔ c frozen blueberries (unthawed)
½ c fat-free French vanilla yogurt
⅓ c vanilla soy milk
¼ c pomegranate juice
PUTingredients into a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth.
NUTRITION(per serving) 227 cal, 9 g pro, 45 g carb, 3 g fiber, 2 g fat, 0.3 g sat fat, 123 mg sodium
MORE:20 Super-Healthy Smoothie Recipes
PREP TIME: 10 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes
2 beets, cooked, peeled and diced
1 c cranberry juice
3 Tbsp red-wine vinegar
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 drops liquid smoke
Ground black pepper
2 quarts torn mixed greens
4 thick slices crusty french bread, diced and oven-toasted
1 lg firm pear, cut into 16 wedges
1 persimmon, diced
2 c pomegranate seeds
¼ c shredded parmesan or romano cheese
2 Tbsp chopped toasted walnuts*
1. TO MAKE THE DRESSING:In a blender, combine the beets, cranberry juice, vinegar, mustard, oil, shallots, garlic, and liquid smoke. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth. Season with the salt and pepper.
2. TO MAKE THE SALAD:In a large bowl, toss the greens with the croutons and ¼ of the dressing. Divide among salad plates. Top with the pears and persimmons. Drizzle with the remaining dressing. Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds, Parmesan or Romano and walnuts
*To toast the walnuts, place them in a dry no-stick skillet over medium heat. Toast the nuts, shaking the skillet often, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
NUTRITION(per serving) 365 cal, 12 g pro, 62 g carb, 6 g fiber, 9 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 667 mg sodium
MORE:5 Beautiful Beet Recipes
PREP TIME: 10 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 3 hours, 10 minutes
2½ Tbsp sugar
¼ c brandy
1 bottle (750 milliliters) dry Spanish red wine
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
¾ c organic orange juice (with or without pulp)
1 med pear, diced (a sturdy Bosc pear works well)
4 peeled, segmented clementines
Seeds from 1 pomegranate
1 sm lemon, sliced crosswise
2 c ginger ale
1 c soda water
1. PLACEthe sugar and brandy in a large punch bowl and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the red wine, cinnamon stick, orange juice, and fruit; allow to macerate in the refrigerator for an hour or longer.
2. ADDthe ginger ale and soda water. Cover and refrigerate to chill. Remove the cinnamon stick before serving unless you prefer a stronger cinnamon flavor. Add ice.
3. LADLEinto cups and garnish with a fruit wedge if so inclined.
NUTRITION(per serving) 274 cal, 2 g pro, 39 g carb, 4 g fiber, 0.8 g fat, 0 g sat fat, 17 mg sodium
MORE:7 Citrus Fruit Recipes
PREP TIME: 15 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes
3 Tbsp sugar
¼ c red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp poppy seeds
½ tsp mustard powder
6 c rinsed, dried, and torn spinach leaves or 1 bag (6 ounces) baby spinach
2 c cooked, cubed chicken
2 c sliced strawberries
1 c pomegranate seeds
WHISKtogether the sugar, vinegar, oil, poppy seeds, and mustard in a large bowl. Add the spinach, chicken, strawberries, and pomegranate seeds. Toss to combine.
NUTRITION(per serving) 200 cal, 16 g pro, 19 g carb, 4 g fiber, 13 g sugars, 7 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 82 mg sodium
MORE:3 Delicious Recipes With Fresh Spinach
PREP TIME: 13 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes
1 c black or regular quinoa
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped (¼ c)
⅓ c ground walnuts + ¼ c broken halves
3 cloves garlic, minced
⅓ c dry red wine
¼ c reduced-sodium chicken broth
1½ Tbsp pomegranate molasses or frozen cranberry juice concentrate
1 Tbsp honey
4 cod fillets (6 oz each)
Salt and ground black pepper
¼ c chopped fresh parsley
1. PREPAREthe quinoa per the package directions (makes 3 cups). Heat the broiler. While the quinoa cooks, heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add the ground walnuts and garlic and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring, until the walnuts are golden brown.
2. REMOVEfrom the heat and add the wine, broth, molasses or juice, and honey. Simmer for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened (makes about ¾ cup). Transfer the sauce to a gravy boat.
3. HEATthe broiler. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a sheet pan lined with nonstick foil. Broil for about 6 minutes until cooked through.
4. TOSSthe quinoa with the parsley and broken walnuts. Spoon onto 4 plates and top with the fish and sauce.
NUTRITION(per serving) 470 cal, 39 g pro, 40 g carb, 4 g fiber, 15.6 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 173 mg sodium
MORE:6 Ideas For Quinoa
PREP TIME: 10 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes
2 roasted red peppers
¾ c fresh whole grain bread crumbs
3 Tbsp chopped walnuts, toasted
1 clove garlic
1½ Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp salt
½ c extra virgin olive oil
Carrot and celery sticks
COMBINEthe peppers, bread crumbs, walnuts, garlic, lemon juice, molasses, coriander, cumin, and salt in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. With the blender running slowly, add the oil until combined. Serve with carrot and celery sticks.
NUTRITION(per serving) 170 cal, 1 g pro, 5 g carb, 1 g fiber, 16 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 223 mg sodium
MORE:Low-Cal Chip & Dip Recipes
PREP TIME: 5 minutes / TOTAL TIME: 36 minutes
1 c pomegranate juice
¼ c + 2 Tbsp sugar
2 red grapefruits, peeled (white pith removed) and each cut into 4–6 round slices
1. COMBINEpomegranate juice and ¼ cup of the sugar in small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes, or until reduced to ⅓ cup. Cool to room temperature. Preheat broiler with rack about 4" from heat.
2. ARRANGEgrapefruit slices in single layer in large baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
3. BROIL6 minutes, or until grapefruit is flecked with brown. Arrange on serving platter and drizzle with pomegranate syrup.
Video: Superfood Pomegranate Martini
7 Crazy Cool Wedding Backdrops You Need For Your Wedding Couple Shots — See the Photos
How to Safely Train for an Adventure Race
I Healed My Broken Back and Changed My Lifes Path, Too
How to Start a Petition on the White House Website
The Pros and Cons of an Open Relationship
Scientists Have Found A Workout Hack For Lifting Heavier
The ultimate newcomer’s guide to losing weight
How to Use a Multi Purpose Spill Kit
How to Make your Very Own Cape
You Might Want to Stop Losing Your Kirby Grips—This Is Where They End Up
Victoria Beckham Slammed for Featuring Sickly Skinny’ Model in FashionCampaign