Plumbing & HVAC Maintenance : How to Get a Plumber License
How to Get a Plumbing License in NJ
To work as a skilled tradesman in the state of New Jersey, it is likely that you will need to research and obtain a license. To become a master plumber, you may need to apply for an apprenticeship or journeyman plumber's license. To take the master plumber's exams, you will be required to fill out an application, take exams and pay fees of up to 0. You will also need to prove your financial stability, work experience and educational qualifications. Licenses are given for 1 to 2 years and can be renewed for 3 years at a time. Find out how to get a plumbing license in NJ.
Visit the New Jersey Department of Law and Public Safety Consumer Affairs Division website.View the plumbing license applications at njconsumeraffairs.gov/plumber/plum_applications.htm.
Choose to apply for an apprentice license, a journeyman license or a master plumber's license.
- If you have not yet completed a state certified apprenticeship or received a degree in plumbing, mechanical or sanitary engineering, then it is likely you should apply for your apprenticeship.
- If you have completed your apprenticeship in New Jersey or another state, but have not yet completed a year of board approved work experience, then you should apply to be a journeyman. Fewer restrictions apply to journeymen than to master plumbers, since most journeymen are gaining the experience to become a master plumber.
- If you have completed both an apprenticeship and work as a journeyman, usually totaling 5 years or more, then you should apply to become a master plumber. The master plumber application is also an application to take the 3 plumbing exams.
Print out the application and review the qualifications.Make sure that you are eligible according to the following rules:
- You are 21 years or older.
- You are able to provide a ,000 state surety bond.
- You are able to provide a certificate of completion of your apprenticeship program, or you can provide a proof of a bachelor's degree in mechanical, sanitary or plumbing engineering.
- You can provide work experience certificates filled out by a licensed master plumber for the past 5 years of apprenticeship, education or experience. You must also be able to furnish W-2 or 1099 forms that prove you were employed by a licensed master plumber for 5 years or the 1 year after completing a college degree.
- You are able to submit to a criminal background check.
Fill out the application.It must be neatly type-written or printed. Enclose your personal and business details as requested.
Ask a licensed master plumber to complete your work experience certificates and impress his seal.Ask former employers or teachers to act as references by filling out the references section.
Complete your own affidavit in front of a notary public.You may need to pay the notary for these services.
Affix 2 2 inch by 2 inch (5.1 cm) photographs of your face to the application.Send your application with a 0 fee to "State Board of Examiners of Master Plumbers124 Halsey Street, 6th Floor, P.O. Box 45008 Newark, New Jersey 07101."
Wait to see if your application to take the master plumber's examinations is approved.The board may request further information before you can schedule to take the exam.
Schedule and pass the 2 written New Jersey plumber's exams with a 70 percent or higher.The business and law exam has 50 questions and must be taken in 1.5 hours. The trade exam has 100 questions and must be taken in 3 hours and the practical exam takes 2 hours.
- You must pay to take each exam. The business and law exam is . The trade exam is and the practical exam is 0.
Pay a fee to receive your NJ plumber's license.It will be either or 0, depending upon the 2-year period that licenses are given.
QuestionDo apprentice plumbers need to have a license in New Jersey?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, they need to have a specific type of license.Thanks!
QuestionHow often is the master plumber exam given?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe exam is handled by an outside company, which allows for several days per week to take the exam.Thanks!
I have been trying to renew my Master Plumber's license, which will expire today, I have not received my bond yet. Is it possible to have an extension for the renew of Master Plumber's license?
Would working for a sewage authority as a plant operator count as working in the plumbing business and for time working in the field for the state exam?
How do I transfer my plumbing license from state to state?
If I have worked under a licensed Master Plumber for 10+ years, can I have him sign the apprentice and journey paperwork in order to take the licensing exam for plumbing?
How can I get a plumbing or journeyman license?
Video: How to get a Plumbing Contractor's License in Florida
You love their quirks
16 Actually Cool Things Wed Like for Valentines Day (Please)
Prince Harry reveals the touching way Kate has supported Meghan
How to Develop Your Intuition
Eye Makeup Looks Are Trending at FashionWeek
The Real Meaning of Pilates Master Instructor
Everything You Need to Know About Popcorn But Were Afraid to Find Out
How to Care for a Havana Brown Cat
Missoni Pre-Fall 2019 Collection
How to Get Respect from Your Boyfriend or Guyfriend
Meghan, Kate, Harry and Will All Went to a Super Secret Dinner Last Night
15 Coffee Quotes Thatll Get You Through Your To Do List Like a Boss
Shampoos Conditioners Archives