How to pickle ginger?
Marinated ginger is an exotic and interesting spice. Usually it is served to sushi, but it can be used as a seasoning and decoration for other dishes, besides, it has a lot of useful properties (see). How to pickle ginger at home and why to do it if you can buy it? Homemade pickled ginger does not contain preservatives, and you yourself regulate what you put in it, so you will always be sure of its goodness and quality.
How to cook pickled ginger
Now we will tell you how to pickle ginger for sushi at home.
- Ginger root. It is sold in the same place as fresh vegetables and is easy to find. It is necessary to calculate the amount of ginger so that in a purified form it would be at least 200 grams.
- Vinegar - always rice red vinegar. It is he who gives pickled ginger such a special pink color.
- Salt, sugar and water can be found in any kitchen, nothing special is required of them.
Prepare the ginger itself. We clean it from the external hard skin, inside it is juicy and light.Take care of your eyes and wear gloves if you have very sensitive skin, as ginger juice is quite hot and splashes can irritate you.
So, you have 200 grams of refined juicy ginger, the next task is to chop it, but how to make even thin slices like professionals? It is not necessary to own a knife, as a master of the kitchen or a samurai, it is enough to have a knife for cleaning vegetables. With it, cut ginger into slices and sprinkle them with salt. All the resulting pieces need to mix. Now let's do the marinade.
For the marinade, mix one and a half cups of rice vinegar (based on 200 grams of ginger, if you want, you can reduce the proportions), 2-3 tablespoons of sugar and half a tablespoon of salt. Put all this mixture on the stove over a small fire. Stir, without boiling, until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved.
Wash the ginger to wash off excess salt from it, cover with hot marinade and leave to cool. When the ginger with the marinade has cooled, put them on the stove on a low fire again and cook for about half an hour. So your ginger will become more tender.
Then put the ginger in a jar and pour the marinade before filling the jar.The jar will fit a little, but you need a good metal lid on the thread, and do not forget to rinse the jar with boiling water so that it does not crack. After the ginger has cooled, it should settle. You can leave it at night, but if you can not wait to try, just wait 5 hours.
If the color of your ginger is not bright enough, you can tint it with a piece of beet, to do this, put it in a jar at the last stage, before settling.
You can add soy sauce to the marinade, it will give a light spicy taste.
If you store ginger in a well-closed jar and in the refrigerator, you can eat it for three months. Further, it will be spoiled.
Where to use pickled ginger
So, how to cook pickled ginger, you already know. Now a few tips on how to use it:
- This is a great addition to Japanese dishes.
- It is an anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial agent. If you are sick and especially if you have a sore throat, a few pieces of pickled ginger will help get rid of the bacteria.
- If you decide to give up chewing gum and look for another way to clean the mouth after eating, pickled ginger will also help you. It will save you from bacteria that can cause tooth decay, and freshen breath.
- It can be added not only to sushi, but also served it to meat dishes.
Veal in wine sauce - cooked in Italian cuisine
Attic in a country house: construction, insulation
Anvil from a piece of rail