How to remotely turn on the computer?
Watch the video
Remotely turning on computers is a useful option in some cases. However, in order to use it at the right time, it is necessary to carry out a preliminary adjustment. This article will tell you how to set up a computer and remotely turn it on through a local network and the Internet.
The remote computer must satisfy three parameters to configure remote access:
- AVX powered motherboard;
- Wake-on-LAN BIOS;
- Network card with WOL support.
If your PC meets the above requirements, you can proceed to setup.
- Go to the BIOS, find the section Power Management Setup or Advanced (depending on the type of BIOS).
- Activate the Wake-On-LAN function, following the path: Resume by LAN / Wake Up On LAN / WOL From Soft-Off / Power Up on PCI (the names of points may differ slightly).
- Go to the settings section of the power saving mode of the motherboard Suspend Mode and activate the Power on Suspend mode.
- Save the settings and exit the BIOS.
After setup, check the network card: if it is lit with a green or orange light when the computer is turned off, this means that the configuration has been made correctly.
Network card configuration
To set the network card mode, go to its settings, find the item with the name like Wake on Magic Packet, Wake on Pattern, Wake on Lan, etc. and activate it.
Enable via LAN
- Download to send a special package that will activate the process of waking up a remote PC.
- Install the program. Attention! You need to install it on the PC from which you want to turn on.
- Open the program, insert the MAC address of the network card in a special field and press the "Wake up" button.
- All! It is done!
Enable via the Internet
- Download and install to send a special package that will activate the process of waking a remote PC.
- Open the program, insert the MAC address of the network card and the IP address in a special field, press the "Wake up" button.
It should be understood that the procedure of remotely turning on the computer is not entirely safe, especially if you are used to remotely turn on Wi-Fi, because an attacker who knows or just guessed the network password can also easily turn on your PC and access files.
Emergency door opening: drill the lock insert
Living by its rules in comfort and convenience
How to make a simple hacksaw with a 12 V motor
How to merge two layers
Crafts for February 23, Defender of the Fatherland Day