How To Set Up A Gmail Account
How to Set up a Gmail Account As a Pop Account
Most businesses will use Microsoft's Outlook, Eudora, Mozilla Thunderbird or another email client to help employees manage their company email. If you are used to such an email client, or simply do not care for the user interface of Google's Gmail system, you can configure your Gmail account with your email client. Here's how to set up a Gmail as a POP account so you can download your email messages to your desktop.
Log in to your Gmail account with your user name and password.
- If you do not have a Gmail account, you can register for one using the link given in the source section of this article.
Click the gear-shaped icon in the upper right corner of the window, next to your account name.
Choose "Gmail Settings" from the popup menu.
- The Settings screen will launch, replacing the list of emails generally shown in that portion of the window.
Choose the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab in the Settings screen.
Select the settings you want for your POP email account.
- In most cases, clicking the radio button next to the "Enable POP for all mail" option will provide the result you want.
- You can choose to keep a copy in your Gmail inbox, archive the Gmail copy, mark it as "read" or simply delete it after it has been downloaded by your email program.
Click the "Save Changes" button at the bottom before leaving this screen.
Configure your email client by clicking the link for "Configuration Instructions."
- This process will vary depending upon which email client you will be using.
- Follow your email client's prompts to add an account and provide your Gmail email address.
Provide the specifics of your Gmail account.
- When asked for your incoming and outgoing mail servers, choose the options to show that your incoming mail server is a POP3 server.
- Enter "pop.gmail.com" without the quotation marks as the incoming mail server.
- Enter "smtp.gmail.com" without the quotation marks as the outgoing mail server.
Fill in your Gmail account name with your email address and provide the password to this account.
- This will allow your email client software to retrieve your email from the Gmail servers.
Type in the correct port numbers for the incoming and outgoing mail servers and select "Secure Connection" or "SSL" if it is offered.
- The outgoing mail uses port 465, while the incoming mail uses port 995.
- If your outgoing mail server requires TLS or STARTTLS instead of SSL, use 587 for the port number.
Complete the process by saving your settings and then launch the email client software.
- Thunderbird is set up to use IMAP instead of POP when syncing with your Gmail account. You can change that by editing the settings in the "Add Mail Account" process.
- If using the Apple Mail email client software, you will need to hold down the Option key at each screen in the setup process until the Create button at the bottom of the window becomes a Continue button. You will only choose the Create button once you arrive at the Account Summary screen showing all of your preferred options.
- Anyone who uses your computer will be able to access your Gmail email account through the email client. Learn how to password protect your email client by using its "help" or "support" feature.
Video: How to Create a Gmail Email Account From Scratch
Zippered Colorblock Crepe Jumpsuit,29.90
50 Best Red Carpet Looks of2013
7 avocado recipes to smash heart disease worries
The Best Chocolate Chip Recipes for Every Type of Cookie
What to know before coming out as LGBTQ
The Pros and Cons of an Open Relationship
How to Get Flight Insurance Against Delays and Cancellations
Why Dont We Pay More Homage to Japanese Skincare
Natural Nail Strengthener NTT60 - 0.5 oz Strengthener
The girl who turned kissing into art
The best makeup for hooded lids
13 Things Designers Notice the First Time They Enter Your Home
How to Wear Stripes
Toxic Bachelor Leonardo DiCaprio Reportedly Splits With KellyRohrbach