Master Class: DIY leather sheath
If you spend your free time on long hikes, addicted to spending the night under the open sky and to food cooked on a fire, then you can not do without special equipment. The main thing in such conditions is convenience and safety. Therefore, today we will do with our own hands such an important attribute as a knife sheath of coarse leather.
What you need to prepare
For this you will need:
- cotton fabric,
- a piece of thick and high-quality leather,
- a coil of nylon threads,
- sturdy steel needle
- stationery clips,
- strong wire.
From the tools you need to take:
- sharp knife and cutters,
- drill with small diameter drill.
Step number 1: liner, pattern and others
- The first thing we do is a liner for the cover. The handle is impregnated with water-repellent agent, and the blade of the knife is wrapped in cotton cloth, covered with paraffin for rigidity.
- First we make a pattern for making a cover: we put a knife on paper, draw a line at some distance from the blade, repeating its contours.
- We carefully cut the detail cut out of the skin with water. We put a liner made of cotton fabric on the knife and place it in the center of the workpiece, the edges of which are joined and fixed with stationery clips. We are waiting for the future scabbard to dry naturally.
Step 2: Suspension Manufacturing
- We also do the scabbard suspension with our own hands. Cut a blank from the skin, which is a rectangle 4-5 cm wide and two narrow long strips extending from it. We make slots on the edge of the blank and insert “tails” into them.
- On the billet sheath make three pairs of holes (one under the other) for fastening the suspension. Watch this process on the video and you will understand everything.
- The ends of the suspension pass through the holes.
Step number 3: sew the leather sheath
- First, with a knife, we scour (or thin) the skin on the bend. Then we coat the edges of the workpiece with glue, we join and fix them with clerical clips.
- After the parts are dry, we clean the ends on the grinding machine.
- We saturate the sheath with a solution obtained from PVA glue and vodka.
- The seam marking is done with the help of an ordinary table fork, thanks to which we obtain two parallel lines.
- Through the entire perimeter of the awl, we pierce the holes. To facilitate their task, they can be drilled with a drill with a thin drill. Be sure to make an awl grooves, which will be the thread connection.
- To sew leather parts with an ordinary stitch, you need to apply considerable strength. It will be more convenient to use pliers.
- After completing the work, the kapron thread is tightened, we cut off the ends and sing it with a match.
- To obtain a rich brown color, paint the case with a stain. Then we grind the whole surface with sandpaper.
- To adjust the sheath to the size of the knife, we moisten the skin with water. We insert a blade into them and fasten it at the top with wire.
- After the skin has dried, we remove the retainer.
Before using the product, we process it with shoe cream - this will give a soft and attractive look to the material.
The sheath made by hand from the skin has one significant drawback: because they are integral, they can not be cleaned.Therefore, before you insert the blade into the case, the blade must be thoroughly washed and dried.
Collapsible sheath of wood
But there is a simple option - it is a cover made of wood. Make it pretty easy.
It consists of two parts. For ties using a cord or leather strap.
- Cut out the parts so that one fits into the second. They must move freely relative to each other.
- We make the inside of the wooden scabbard so that the knife can easily enter them.
- We polish blanks and varnish. We join together and wind them up with a cord or a strip of leather.
That the product did not fall out of a cover, we fix inside a small springy plate.
Trends in Interior Design 2017
Orange Candied Butter
Kiwi jam with lemon
Metal racks and cabinets
Chest pain during pregnancy
Cake with mascarpone and meringue
Decoration of glasses with a bouquet of foamiran